Thursday, July 5, 2012

a sponge - soaking up surroundings

Out of my mind is such and amazing book. It is enlightening and inspiring. A friend of mine has told me similar things because she works at a summer camp for children and adults with a wide range of disabilities. They are trapped, Melody had so much that she wanted to say that was trapped inside of her. Sometimes I struggle with what to say or how to say it. But that can't come close to what Melody was feeling. Everyone has hidden talents and is capable of more that we know, especially those students that are often underestimated. as teachers we have to expect the best out of our students and treat them as worthy individuals.

This book does a great job of giving a voice to a minority that's voice is often unheard. Kids tend to be disrespectful and inconsiderate towards those who are different. Valuable views and lessons can be found in this book. Melody overcomes so many obstacles, readers can do no less than try to overcome theirs.

I'd like to me able to be a teacher who can help the a classroom be inclusive and educational for all. I know that I need to work on this, especially for students who have challenges that they work to overcome. I think this book has helped to hit home and make me a better person. The same friend that I mentioned above has been helping me change my previous conceptions. I viewed a piece here at Edgewood that showed individuals with more sever disabilities and the tools they use to communicate. This book helped me connect better to what I saw and what I've been told.

I'm not sure how I might incorporate this book in the classroom (yet), but it will definitely be on my shelf for students to read. 


No comments:

Post a Comment